What is IBS?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a gastrointestinal disorder characterized by the presence of a cluster of symptoms that includes abdominal pain, altered bowel habits (often fluctuating between constipation and diarrhea), increased gas, bloating (distention), cramping, and food intolerance.
Because it is not clear what causes IBS in every person, traditional medical treatment focuses on the relief of symptoms. Medications specifically for chronic constipation or diarrhea may be prescribed. While this may provide temporary relief from an acute flare-up, it does not address the root cause of the syndrome.
Tests to Consider
Genova Diagnostics GI Effects Stool Profile Reveals important information about:
- Cancer-preventative short chain fatty acids
- Pancreatic function
- Markers for digestion and absorption
Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) Testing
Symptoms of SIBO are non-specific, encompassing abdominal pain/distention, diarrhea, and flatulence. May be responsible for up to 90% of diagnosed IBS.
* not covered by Aetna and Humana
Food Sensitivity / Allergy Testing
Food intolerances are one of the primary triggers of IBS. With an easy blood test, once we know the degree of your sensitivity to a food, we can recommend the proper elimination and rotation diet, supplements that heal the lining of your gut, and appropriate lifestyle changes. *all insurances are accepted with patient copay
Our Approach to Treatment
- Digestive irritants (gluten, dairy, other intolerances)
- Toxins (excessive NSAIDS, acid blockers, chemicals, tobacco, alcohol, excessive sugar)
- Abnormal microbes (bacteria, yeast, parasites)
- Stomach acid, if needed
- Digestive enzymes, if needed
- Probiotics (high-potency and allergen-free)
- Elimination/Rotation Diet (determined by food sensitivity/allergy testing)
- Glutamine supplement
- Fish Oil
- Vitamin D
- Anti-inflammatory Medical Food, if needed
- Protein supplements (quality whey or pea protein)
- Magnesium Citrate (if needed, for constipation)
- Metabolic Detoxification — 7 or 14 days (packages available)
- Lifestyle change — restore balance
- Adequate sleep (8 hours+)
- Mindful eating
- Balanced brain and nervous system
If you are interested in IBS Food Sensitivity / Allergy testing, schedule an appointment with one of our providers or a Wellness Consultation with one of our Health and Wellness Coaches today.
Contact us today to find out more at 513-770-0787.