The decision to start a family is an important one. As such, it is also important to know your particular medical makeup prior to trying to conceive with your partner. Your age, medical history, current physical health and mental state all play a part in planning and achieving a healthy, normal pregnancy.
To give yourself the best possible chance of conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy for you and baby, we will give you a thorough examination and answer any question you may have regarding conception pregnancy. Dr. Brenner has been helping women of all ages build their families with preconceptual counseling for over ten years. Some things to keep in mind to discuss on your visit should be:
- Your age
- Current health conditions
- Current weight, diet and exercise habits
- Any medications you are taking- including supplements
- Natural ways to boost chances of conception
- Ovulation and timing
- Potential risks of pregnancy (such as gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, ectopic pregnancy, birth defects)
- Vaccination history
By taking the time to prepare for pregnancy, you are increasing your chances of conception, having a healthy pregnancy, and hopefully, a healthy baby. There may be factors and issues you are not even aware of that Dr. Brenner and Associates may discuss with you as part of your preconception plan.
The following are some concerns to be aware of as you prepare to conceive:
- Lifestyle – everything from eating and exercise habits can affect your pregnancy
- Diet and nutrition – organic fruits, veggies, clean water, and lean protein should be your focus and a complete nutrition evaluation is recommended
- Stability in your partner relationship or domestic situation (these factors can affect your pregnancy and health of your baby)
- Past pregnancies and their outcomes (as a predictor of a what you may encounter with a new pregnancy)
- Family medical history and current medical concerns
- Preparation for a fertility evaluation (this applies more for older women and women with medical conditions that can affect chances of conception)
- Willingness to undergo more aggressive fertility treatment if needed (age, environmental toxins, stress and other factors may warrant additional steps to increase chances of conception)
After a thorough examination and consultation, Dr. Brenner will define the best preconception plan tailored to your unique circumstances, to increase your chances of conceiving a healthy baby.
If you feel the time is right and you and your partner are ready for this next stage of life, we can help you make that dream come true with the right information and preparatory care.
The pain of infertility can be heartbreaking, anxiety provoking and stressful. One in seven couples experience infertility and the reasons can vary. However, there have been amazing breakthroughs in the last few years that can significantly boost your success of conception. First, here are some more common reasons some couples experience infertility:
- Low sperm count
- Stress (elevated cortisol) and mood disorders
- Lack of ovulation
- Environmental toxins
- Hormonal imbalances
- Nutritional imbalances
- Tubal disease
After a thorough exam, Dr. Brenner will want to evaluate your fertility using a variety of methods. The method she prescribes will depend on your current health, age, and infertility challenge. Once this has been determined, there are a number of infertility therapies that may be suggested for your treatment. Some of these therapies consist of:
- Hormonal therapy
- Medications for ovulation induction
- Lifestyle modifications
- Nutritional and/or herbal and botanical support
- Stress reduction
- Laparoscopy for endometriosis excision
If more conservative approaches do not work after a fair amount of time (a year or longer), more aggressive therapies may be explored. The important thing to remember is that there are many choices available today that just did not exist a generation ago. It may take a little longer for couples challenged with infertility, but by partnering with a specialist like Dr. Brenner, your chances of successfully conceiving are that much greater.